Wednesday, November 24, 2010

THANKSGIVING MESSAGE FROM JACK MILES

Why I am thankful

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Jack Miles


At this time of the year, we begin the holiday season with Thanksgiving. I want to share with you why I am thankful. Over the last couple of years, I have had a number of deaths in my family, with another one just a few days ago. One of the hardest situations was having to make a decision to take my Grandmother off life support just before Christmas 2006. I knew her wishes and I honored them.

It was
December 13, 2006, and I was on duty at the Fire Station when I received the call, "Come to Arizona, Grandma is dying." This was the day before a major wind storm here in Washington, and I was really in no position to up and leave. However, as it turned out, I was able to leave my fire crew with no problem. When the call came in at 3 in the afternoon, not only was I on duty at the fire station, but I was also house sitting. I not only had to make flight arrangements, and but also had to find someone to watch the house.

First, I checked for flights leaving that night and found only one, it was leaving at 6:45 pm. Needless to say, the odds were stacking up against me. I had to find a flight, someone to house sit, pack my bags, get on the road, face the evening heavy traffic and bad weather. I needed to be at Sea-Tac no later then 6:15pm and also find extended parking. All of this needed to get done in a very short period of time, and amazingly, it did!

While in transit, I called and found extended parking near the airport and I explained the situation. When I arrived, my parking had been taken care of, and a bus was waiting for me to get me to the airport. Oh, did I mention, I arrived at the extended parking at 6:30 pm, and I all I knew this whole time is that if I put all of my faith in God that he would get me there safely. And when I arrived at the gate to catch my flight, it had been delayed for more than 30 minutes!

I finally arrived in Arizona, and immediately went to the hospital to be with my dying Grandmother. For many hours, I sat there and prayed to God to bring her out of her coma and just acknowledge I was there. Every once in awhile, her eyes would open and shut very quickly. Once again, I put my faith in God and hoped for one moment with her knowing I was there, and I could tell her I loved her very much.

Finally, in the late afternoon on December 15, her eyes opened and her head turned to look at me; it took a few seconds for her to focus and realize it was me. At that moment, she lifted her head from the pillow and tried to pucker her lips around the tube she had in her mouth from the life support machine, and it was then I knew she was at peace. This overwhelming feeling will stay with me the rest of my life. I thank God I was holding her hand when she died the next day. There is no greater feeling than the presence of God.

My message to you: Never give up, keep the faith, and trust that our message will be heard, and know we will see the day! I am also thankful for all of you. I am thankful this community has concerned citizens, and I pray for each of you to have a wonderful time with your loved ones. Happy Holidays!

All my best,
Jack Miles

Photo by Christine

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jack,

    Happy Holidays to YOU, too!

    We give thanks for honest, caring, sometimes risk-taking Leaders like you -- ones who have the interests of the Public foremost in their minds when making critical decisions! Again, Jack, we Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, it is such grace to be with our loved ones when they pass. Happy Thanksgiving to you Jack, and to all of our friends who share this blog space.

    Keep it light!

    ReplyDelete