Thursday, November 4, 2010

Clearing the Air!

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Jack Miles

November 3, 2010

To all the Concerned Citizens of Mason County:

I spent the night reliving the horrible and unnecessary comments Mr. Bloomfield brought to the Port meeting on Tuesday. However, it is time I clear the air and address Mr. Bloomfield's question.

After a night of praying for answers as to what to do about Mr. Bloomfield's comments at the meeting, I realized I already knew the answer. So I am writing to clear the air about my Military discharge.

First, I am proud to be an American and I am proud that I served my county in the United States Marine Corps. I was discharged from the Marines under "Other Than Honorable Conditions" and here's the reason why. At the time of my service, President Clinton came into office. One of his campaign promises was to lift the ban on gays in the military. At that time, I had several gays friends in the military, mostly women. I was hopeful that President Clinton would be able to follow through with his campaign promise.

I grew up in San Diego, California and had a few gay friends that so desperately wanted to serve their country too, but had fear they would be exposed if they joined. As did I have friends in the military that were gay and feared being exposed. After President Clinton tried to make that a reality, the rank and file of the armed forces were running scared and began a witch hunt to get as many gay military personnel out as possible before or if this would happen. At the time, I was not shy about where I stood with gays in the military, nor am I now.

The unfortunate situation that resulted from my position was, the military tried to get me to turn over names of all of my friends who were gay and who I thought might be gay....AND I REFUSED! I was told if I didn't provide names, I would be tried for obstruction of justice and conduct unbecoming a United States Marine. Rather than give up their names and put them through the humiliation, I took the deal to leave the Marine Corps under other than honorable conditions. But let me make one thing perfectly clear, that piece of paper does not change the fact that I served my country with honor and I am proud I was able to protect my fellow Marines and I would do it again.

I want to personally apologize for not being upfront on Tuesday. My hope was that I would not have to tell this story, but it appears Mr. Bloomfield will stop at nothing to spread a horrible lie and make me look bad. So please forgive me from the bottom of my heart. I thought what I said Tuesday was the right thing to do at the time and it was never meant to mislead you in any way. I just thought I could stand by my statement that "I served my country and I did it well" would be enough, however it got the best of me last night.

So to answer Mr. Bloomfields question, I will not resign as your representative. I protected my fellow Marines, this country and I will continue to protect you, "The Concerned Citizens of Mason County".

Semper Fi,

Jack Miles, Commissioner
Port of Shelton

Shelton Blog thought it appropriate to post this excerpt from the Marine Corps website:

SEMPER FIDELIS

More than a motto, a way of life

Semper Fidelis distinguishes the Marine Corps bond from any other. It goes beyond teamwork – it is a brotherhood and lasts for life.

Latin for "always faithful," Semper Fidelis became the Marine Corps motto in 1883. It guides Marines to remain faithful to the mission at hand, to each other, to the Corps and to country, no matter what.

Becoming a Marine is a transformation that cannot be undone, and Semper Fi reminds us of that. Once made, a Marine will forever live by the ethics and values of the Corps.

There is no such thing as an ex-Marine.

www.marines.com

4 comments:

  1. Bloomfield is a stooge for people that want to undermine and discredit Jack Miles, because he can’t be bought off like the rest of them.
    We are lucky to have a man of courage and ethics like Jack Miles as our Port Commissioner.
    Jack’s military service is history that is irrelevant to his position as a Shelton Port Commissioner.
    We should all thank Jack for his service to this our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claude said it all, and very well.

    Thank you Jack for serving your country in the past and for serving your community now.

    You are an honorable man, which Bloomfield clearly is not, and I am pleased to call you friend!

    This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jack, God guided you to say the things that needed to be said at this time; as He guided you when you took a stand in the Marines. You Know the Master you must please, and you have!! Again, you are a man of Courage and we Respect you for that, also.
    We are behind you -- because, in the Present Time, you are a man who is risking a lot for our benefit, and you have chosen the Hard Road rather than protecting yourself and taking the easier much less confrontational pathway.
    Thank you, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jack --

    You are an honorable person Jack, and those of us who have come to know you through our fight to keep our air breathable are happy to call you friend. I am sorry that Bloomfield, hereinafter referred to as "Slimefield," felt the need to call you out, and I am sorry that you felt compelled to respond.

    It is none of his business, and none of my business, and it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or nor you are a competent public servant. In that regard, you are. You are one of the few public servants who care about the citizens and their concerns.

    In fact, you are being attacked by Slimefield and Hupp right now for doing what you did in the military: Sticking up for people you feel deserve to be protected. Thank you for that, Jack - then and now!

    Don't stop doing what you know to be right, and don't bow your head to these nasty little people, who are not worthy to shine your shoes.

    Thank you, Jack, from the bottom of my heart, for your continuing efforts to save the lives of the citizens of Shelton and Mason County, and in particular my children and me. And thank you for your service to your country, Jack, and to your fellow soldiers.

    It turns out that this Slimefield is not even a resident of Shelton, much less of our Port District. He had no business getting up at the Port and behaving as he did and your friends will likely call him out for it, if he has the nerve to attend another Port meeting.

    Since Slimefield decided to make this personal, and because Hupp did not tell him that he was out of order and his comments had nothing to do with the port commission meeting, it looks like "Team Hupp" has decided to take the fight outside the arena of the port commission, and into the arena of the personal. Hope they don't regret that decision too much!

    Keep it light, my friend.

    ReplyDelete