Saturday, October 2, 2010

On the Lighter Side...


Submitted to Shelton Blog by Dj


Twas the night before Monday, when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The boys were nestled all snug in their beds,
While dreams of Nerf gun wars danced in their heads.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Caught sight of some girls hauling away a stash.

Lawn signs removed from their owner's abodes,
Were being carried down our moonlit road.
Red signs, blue signs, green ones and white
Were spied disappearing into the night.

I jumped into action and threw on my slippers,
Ran into the night underneath the two dippers.
Away down the street pursuing what's mine,
I breathlessly called out, "I want my dang signs!"


Suddenly the booty they dropped to the ground,
And into the darkness escaped without sound.
I approached the backyard & guess what I found?
A campfire and 3 girls with their chairs pulled around.


"Give me my signs back, why did you take 'em?"
"What signs, we have none, you must be mistaken."
"I saw that you took them, I followed you here."
"We didn't take them, I'm being sincere."

So I walked away but she did pursue,
And said "What did they look like, I'll try to help you."
Then over in the shadows she found a stack,
And offered to deliver my signage back.

So the two of us walked back to my home,
Only to discover none of the signs were my own.
They're from the nearby Dance Center, but where is mine?
(It turns out I was only missing one sign.)

She went back to her house to take another look,
While I contemplated reporting the crook.
But then she returned with my sign, blue & white,
And claimed she was sorry, so we said, "good night".

On Monday I did have to speak with her mom.
Although I was nervous, our conversation was calm.
She said she was sorry, she would take better care
To know what her daughter was doing, and where.

So that is the story of my neighborhood showdown,
When I ran through the street in my tricot nightgown.
It has a happy ending, the victory is mine,
With the triumphant return of my "Save our Air" sign.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd have taken the opportunity to enlighten the child about her future and the threat BioMassacre represents to it. She should know these signs are there to help protect HER!

    ReplyDelete