Friday, March 25, 2011

Musings of a Mason County Activist


If only there were agencies who did this work for citizens

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Katherine Price
Mason County Progressive

As I sit at my desk and look out across my neglected garden at the third
hummingbird of the season, I very deliberately do not look at the pile of paper to my right.

It is only 2 inches tall...I measured it; and it only weighs four pounds...I weighed it; but it strikes me as an overwhelming task before I have even begun.

My assignment for the next days and weeks is to review and digest three things:
The Air Operating Permit issued by ORCAA to Olympic Panel Products

The Air Operating Permit issued by ORCAA to Simpson Timber Company

The Mitigated Determination of Nonsignificance issued by the City of Shelton in connection with the proposed Solomon biomass incinerator
I also very deliberately try not to think about the permit application from Simpson/Solomon filed with ORCAA...that document needs to be dissected as well...but not today.

It's too bad I don't live in Olympia. In Olympia the second proposed Simpson incinerator would be subject to a moratorium. But I live in Mason County, where the citizens' right to breathe comes after the corporations' right to make a profit.

Unfortunately for Simpson, there are a lot of smart motivated people who will do everything we can to protect ourselves.

Unfortunately for us, we have to wade through inches and pounds of paper to find the solution to our dilemma...

It would be nice if there were some agency or agencies who did this kind of work for the citizens... maybe an environmental protection agency, or a clean air agency, or a department of ecology, or city planners...

4 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at your post; don't you know that no good deed goes unpunished? Have a nice hot bowl of chicken soup and wrap yourself around a good book over the weekend. Monday will come soon enough and in Mason County, if you're not breathing fire and spitting mad, you're toast. Now where's my blanky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT???!!!???

    A world where PUBLIC agencies actually worked FOR the PUBLIC right HERE in the USA???

    A world where it would be a government FOR & BY the people, instead of FOR & BY the corporations???

    A world where public views & welfare would be respected & protected by PUBLIC agencies???

    In the MEANtime, we citizens will have to shuffle through the STACKS & STACKS of BS in order to defend ourselves beCAUSE no PUBLIC agency seems willing to do it for us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Dr Yu strikes again with her less than scientific paper concerning the air quality in Mason County. Does Dr. Yu have the correct credentials? Why should we accept her findings?
    Does the air quality monitor at the hospital really capture true downtown emissions? Where did Dr Yu get the figures she used in her report? Did she leave out any important air emission information?
    I don't think ORCAA or the City of Shelton should fall back on Dr Yu's expertise when deciding air quality-but that's what they've done. Every single word of Dr Yu's air quality report should be questioned carefully because it carries too much weight in the decision process for Solomon.
    -Tracey DeMiero

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. The first time we saw that report we all gagged...

    I don't want to malign public employees, but I don't think the job she has pays enough to attract the best and the brightest; hence, we get Dr. Yu. Dr. Yu, a friend to biomass incineration?

    ReplyDelete