Friday, July 23, 2010

RE: Justin Stang--Write In candidate for the State Senate

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Justin Stang

Dear Friend,

In trying and difficult times, it is often necessary for individuals to look beyond their own lives and personal interests and dedicate themselves to the public service of their community and the greater good. It is for this reason and as an extension of the volunteer and charity projects I've been involved with that I have decided to declare my write-in candidacy for the office of Washington State Senator, 35th Legislative District. As of today, I have registered with the Secretary of State's office and am officially a candidate.

In the five years I have been a Washington resident, it has become apparent that the qualities we so desperately need and look for in our elected officials are not necessarily exemplified by the ones we have elected to lead. Honesty, integrity, sincerity, courage, and imagination are attributes that know no age or experience and are the exact traits we desire in our politicians. Additionally, our leaders should care about the people that they lead and should inspire others toward progress and greatness. Far too often, as is the case today, these ideas become corrupted and lost by the very ones entrusted to protect them. I believe that I possess these qualities and, if privileged enough to serve this community from an elected office, will inspire others to do the same. After all, what better way is there to lead, than by example?

There are many tough issues facing our great state, and I can see that the time for effective leadership is more crucial now than perhaps ever before. Economic hardship, environmental threats, health and housing costs, among many others, all jeopardize a bright and successful future for Washington's residents. Our public schools need proper funding, our seniors need proper and affordable care and our government needs comprehensive streamlining to avoid unnecessary wasteful spending. Moreover, I am concerned with the health and financial impact of the numerous proposed incinerators and have been in a state of disbelief over the lack of public process with regard to the corporate and government negotiations in their attempt to build these facilities.

As you already know, there is an extensive amount of work that needs to be done and it is now clear that our elected officials are not listening to their constituents and consequently are not alleviating any concerns with regard to these many problems. In fact, more of the same leadership will predictably bring us more of the same problems. Like so many others in this district I waited to see who would be the one I could be confident voting for; however, to my dismay I found that there was no one running that offered the community alternative choices in this critical position of leadership. After much consideration I'm willing to be that person. So what will I do differently? I can offer the residents here an open, transparent office, the judgment and conviction to have an opinion on tough issues, and the wisdom and courage to change that opinion with new information or as an extension of the people's will if it is apparent they disagree. More importantly, I can be the rare politician that offers an ear to listen to what the voters think and open a constructive dialogue, as opposed to only telling them what they should believe is in their best interest.

My name is Justin Stang. I live in Union, Washington with my partner Willow Shanahan and work for Olympic Mountain Ice Cream. I am the singer and songwriter for the Mason County based band Sideways Reign and I'm the co-founder of The Sideways Reign Foundation. For those of you that are unfamiliar with our foundation, it is an extension of the band dedicated to community improvement with an annual scholarship, adopted highway and sponsored youth soccer team. I graduated, with honors, from Providence College with a B.A. in History. Being a student of history made me aware of the dangers created by a lack of government representation, and there is a critical truth facing our District - that if we don't learn from our past mistakes of electing leaders who do not represent our community needs and interests, we will be condemned to endure them being repeated for another four years. I am a Democrat, but I prefer to listen to and represent all people. I believe that the people of the 35th Legislative District deserve a Senator that actually represents them and holds their interests above that of corporations or themselves and I believe I am the best candidate for that task. If you agree, please write-in Justin Stang for the office of Washington State Senator, 35th Legislative District. I also welcome and need donations for this campaign effort as they will be used to amplify your voice on the issues that really matter during this election season. Thank you.

Please make contributions to:
Committee to Elect Justin Stang
PO Box 2003
Shelton, WA 98584

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Justin. You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having met and listened to Justin, I can earnestly say he has the best interests of all our community including its seniors, children, families, and workers at heart. He's inspired by the idea that one person can still make a difference. Just remember how to spell his name when you write it in your ballot. If you haven't gotten a ballot, then go to your county auditor and ask to register. This is too important for any of us to sit on our hands.

    ReplyDelete