Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Alternative pledges of allegiance

Submitted to Shelton Blog by John Cox

I pledge allegiance to the Earth and to the flora, fauna and human life that it supports, one planet, indivisible, with safe air, water and soil, economic justice, equal rights and peace for all.

I pledge allegiance to humanity, and to each person for which it stands, multiple nations, sharing peace, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I pledge allegiance to the Government of the United States of America,
and to the New Collectivism for which it stands.
One nation, under Obama,
with bailouts and handouts for the favored.
I pledge allegiance to my fellow citizens, with whom I will work to uphold our freedoms, fulfill our responsibilities to one another, and maintain our place as a responsible nation in the community of nations.

- Kwame Anthony Appiah, professor of philosophy

1 comment:

  1. Except for the snipy Obama one... It may be time to update our pledge at the national level - that would kick the tea party crazies into an even higher gear - I, for one, do not pledge alliegience to the flag of anyone, but today at lunch, so as not to offend, when the Lady Dems say the pledge, I will too, with the exception of changing the final word from "all" to "some."

    ReplyDelete