Wednesday, June 29, 2011

All Things Port Require Public Scrutiny

Skip Houser, Attorney for Port of Shelton

Why Is Port's Legal Counsel Pre$ent at Every Meeting?

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Tom Davis Mason County Progressive

I’ve been out of town on business these past few days, enjoying immensely an opportunity to discuss with intelligent, well-informed people, proposals that have nothing to do with Mason County politics or policies. I look on such opportunities as a welcome respite from having to stand by and watch our local officials engage in never-ending, petty, personal escapades that pass for business, especially at the Port of Shelton.

In the fifteen months I have been attending Port meetings, researching Port decisions and observing the personal behavior of those charged with managing Port property, I have come to one, inescapable conclusion; and that is that some folks charged with managing Port assets appear unable or unwilling to perform their duties in a fair and equitable manner, or even to comply with the spirit of the statutes by which they are governed.


The recent lease agreement between the Port of Shelton and Northwest Event Organizers, Inc., as sponsors of the Mason Area Fair may or may not be beneficial to the Port’s bottom line. But one thing is certain, and that is events leading up to the signing of the lease were atypical in that the opportunity to run the fair was not offered to a larger pool of entrepreneurs, and that the lease itself failed to follow standard Port procedures or to enact standard conditions.

Also worthy of inclusion is the fact that Northwest Event Organizers, Inc. is a profit driven company, not a non-profit, charitable organization. So why has the Port been so accommodating, and why are event organizers asking the public to donate their time, money and energy?

The fact that the proprietors of Northwest Event Organizers, Inc. are personal friends of the Port Executive Director, John Dobson, may be entirely coincidental, but if I have learned anything about Port business over these past few months, it is that personal friends enjoy a level of access not extended to the public at large.

It would appear, also, as was the case of Port employee and whistle-blower, Teresa Rebo, that if you witness what you believe to be questionable behavior on the part of Port management and bring those concerns to Commissioners, you may very likely find yourself fired, which is exactly what happened.

When the Commissioners were questioned as to why they let director Dobson fire Teresa Rebo, Commissioner Tom Wallitner went on record saying that it was not his job to interfere with the methods employed by Port Director John Dobson.


Had the above events occurred in the private sector, total reaction may have been to raise a few eyebrows. But when they involve the governing body of a public municipality, the consequences of those actions will be borne by the public. And it is for that reason the public needs to remain vigilant, and to oversee all questionable business dealings involving the Port, as they occur.


There is a reason the Port’s legal counsel is a fixture at every public meeting, but it is not a good reason.

Photo by Christine

9 comments:

  1. Tom, I do not understand all of this ranting and raving going on. Have you checked your facts on any of this? If anyone wanted to put on the fair, maybe they should have been there when the County let it go. They should have voiced their interest then. Has anyone else went to the Port and said "I will put on the fair"? Lastly, I do not think that a public agency has to go out for bid to rent, or lease a space. Not the last time I checked. I just do not understand why you are so upset over this???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit uncertain how to respond to the above comment till I remembered that I have known two “Sharon’s” in my life. So, Sharon Kawalaski from grade school, I would like to apologize for pulling your pig-tails and putting that frog in your Dale Evans lunch pail- I was only trying to say how much I liked you.
    But on the off chance the comments were left by the other Sharon, please know that the fair itself is not at issue; transparency in Port dealings is. Last year the Port successfully used the fair to distract the public from a much larger issue; Adage, and came very close to changing our community forever. This year the Port seeks to use the fair as a wedge between those who would strive to bring responsible management of public assets to the Port and the fair-loving public at large. But the end simply does not justify the means.

    The fair will come and go in just a few days, but the Port’s penchant for favoritism and privileged access will continue to influence decisions having long term consequences, some of which you may not approve.

    I know you are working on the fair as a volunteer, and it is a good and worthy effort for which the community owes you a vote of thanks. But, respectfully, I would encourage you to become a bit more engaged and knowledgeable about the larger issue of Port management before shooting from the hip.

    (P.S. to Sharon K: Bobby Ferrara told me to do it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This year the Port seeks to use the fair as a wedge between those who would strive to bring responsible management of public assets to the Port and the fair-loving public at large."

    And it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Davis

    Might I suggest to you with all your knowledge on the right thing with all the money to be made make a proposal to the Port for the property and do it yourself.

    Your knowledge and obvious willingness to make things better would be appreciated. Or do you only kick those who actually do something to make the community a better place.

    You are still welcome to call if you ever want any of your questions answered to your accusations as to why we have done what we did.

    John Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    I could not be any clearer as to my intentions to bring better management to the Port of Shelton. If I needed to speak with you I would already have done so, and if you wanted to speak to me directly you've had ample opportunity- I don't hang around outside after Port meetings because I have nothing better to do. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the next Port meeting, but here is my email: Tom-Davis@q.com. If you want to get together, drop me a line and we'll make it happen. But know that my interest in you is limited to how the Port responds to proposals by Northwest Event Organizers, Inc., along with any and all other proposals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUBMITTED BY John Hansen

    Mr Davis

    My concern is you continuously post information regarding the Fair and Northwest Event Organizers that is FALSE. Which makes me wonder how much of your other information is also False and misleading. To date I am unaware of anything that you have done that has been beneficial to any management at any level in our society. Might I suggest you get some actual facts regarding the issues you bring to the forefront. So far all I have seen you do is try to dislodge what is left that works.

    Surprise, the Port, City, Shoreline community have survived quite well without you for this long I think they will do just fine if you chose to just walk away.

    Actually trying to make thing better.

    John Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, now that is just plain nasty. Let's get all personal, then, shall we?

    May I suggest, Mr. Hansen, that simply "surviving" may not be all that we residents of Shelton, the Port District and Mason County want to do.

    You try to "make things better" Mr. Hansen and continue the "survived quite well" part of operations.

    The rest of us will continue to work to ensure that things ARE better and that our community THRIVES!

    ReplyDelete
  8. submitted by: Dick Curtis

    OH! WOW! The wedge of anger and the feeling of extreme Hostility on the part of Mr. Hansen.

    Mr. Hansen: No one has attacked you personally for your efforts on the Fair -- quite the opposite has been directed toward you and your wife --- with Praise being given to you both for running the Fair last year and this year!!

    Mr. Hansen: What I have read has been actually and factually directed towards the Port of Shelton Commissioners and the Executive Director and their collective lack of Good Business Protocol.

    May I suggest, Mr. Hansen, that you should get your facts together before you become Hostile towards another Mason County citizen. All I see at the moment are actions and language by you that result in you're being Destructive towards a good and worthwhile project -- namely, the "Mason Area Fair."

    ReplyDelete
  9. My participation in citizen advisory committees and community task force efforts is public knowledge, and can be gathered from the Mason County Commission’s Office and the City of Shelton; my participation in community volunteer efforts are my own business, though I am willing to share that information with you privately.

    So let’s just cut to the chase: My personal feelings relative to your involvement in the Mason Area Fair differ greatly from my concern about the arrangement between the Port of Shelton and Northwest Event Organizers Inc., (NEO) which is anything but typical. Still, know that I and many others are grateful and appreciative of the efforts you and your wife bring to this most worthy endeavor. But what you apparently fail to recognize, or are unwilling to grasp, is that an even more worthy objective is efficient management of public assets; and it is with that goal in mind I have serious reservations surrounding, not only the current lease of the fairgrounds, but the proposed three year lease to NEO. My concerns however, are directed at the Port, which I have every reason to believe has given NEO preferential treatment. Now, for some, the end might justify the means, but I do not subscribe to that school of thought, and therein lie our differences.

    That said, know that long after the fair is over problems with Port management will continue to influence our community; and I, and others, will continue to fight to change conditions at the Port.

    Finally, for many months the public has sat quietly in attendance at Port meetings, forced to watch our elected officials flaying about like pedantic children, I think on this we can agree. So in the interest of bringing our own communications to a more productive end, let us also agree to continue our discussion privately. Tom-Davis@q.com

    ReplyDelete