Friday, July 13, 2012

WEEK OF 7/9/12 MEETINGS IN REVIEW

TOM'S TALES FOR THE WEEK

Submitted to Shelton Blog by Tom Davis Mason County Progressive

I hate to start this week's report on a sad note, but:
It is with a heavy heart I put fingers to keyboard, as I have just learned the "Martini Bar", most sacred of all temples, has gone out of business, and with it goes the watering hole from which sprung the very essence of my words. I did my best to keep the glasses chilled and the gin on tap, and it is only my liver that rejoices on this day.

No more will my heart lift to the sound of clear cubes of crystal, precise in both girth and weight, being shaken, not stirred; another batch of liquid imagination whisked over a Vermouth so dry it has no need of bottle. Gone now. Gone forever...

Had only I known, I might have chained myself to my favorite stool overlooking the dining area, where many an evening was spent letting little bits of balled up napkin find their way to the fish bowl full of business cards below. I would have begged, pleaded with the owner: “Take me, take me, instead!”

But, alas, it is too late. So, with small paper bag raised high, I give homage, a toast: "Farewell my friend. Thanks for the memories, the inspirations, and, yes, even the hangovers."

P.S. I think I left my car keys behind the cash register.
And now for business as usual:

Monday, July 9, 2012


9:00 AM: Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) Briefing

Commissioner Sheldon was a no-show, having landed on the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), an aircraft carrier, somewhere off the coast of San Diego. I can’t really fault Mr. Sheldon for choosing a ride in a fighter jet and a flight deck landing over attending a briefing of County Commissioners. Truth be known, I’d rather wear a helmet full of yellow-jackets than attend one myself. But then it is his job.

What was discussed, briefly:
  1. Budget schedule for 2013
  2. Budget Increase to compensate for higher vehicle fuel/maintenance costs
  3. Commissioner salaries (let’s not go there, yet)*
  4. Step salary increases for some employees
  5. Projected expenses exceeding revenues by $1.2M
  6. Modular cells to increase the jail capacity by 14, estimated at $112K
*The high spot of the meeting came in the form of a comment by County Auditor, Karen Herr, when she told the Commissioners (and I’m paraphrasing the subtext here): “If you guys give yourselves one more raise before bringing the salaries of staff back into line, I’m going to jump over this table and beat you senseless.”

At least that’s the way I heard it.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

9:00 AM: Regular session of Board of County Commissioners (BOCC)

Somewhere in the Pacific Theater, Commissioner Sheldon is still missing in action, and the agenda reflected as much. With only five items, and not one worth reporting, the audience actually looked forward to the single public hearing. Unfortunately, it too was a yawn:

9.1 Public Hearing to consider amendments to Title 17, Section 17.03.030 of the Mason County Code allowing holding tanks as a possible exception to mandatory sewer connections for new development within the Belfair Urban Growth Area.

In an effort to please almost no one, Title 17 was amended to allow for the installation of holding tanks in the Belfair Urban Growth Area (UGA), until the sewer line comes within 500 feet of the property to be developed, after which the owner has 90 days to connect to the sewer system.

(Sorry, there’s just nothing I can do with that.)

10:00 AM: PUD 3 Board of Commissioners Public Hearing

RE: Dispensation of downtown facility.

This was only my second experience in the new PUD 3 facility, and my first in the "Skookum Auditorium". Whoa Nellie, I thought I had walked into the chambers of the Supreme Court; the room was packed with enough natural gas to run a generator, and the three Commissioners were seated so high up, they’d need a ladder to climb down to mingle with us ordinary folk.

I was ten minutes late, and Terri Shaw, Administrator, Mason County Senior Center (MCSC), was just beginning testimony that would prove to rival a State of the Union Address in length. In an effort to convince the Commissioners to sell/lease the old PUD 3 building to her organization, she was calling everyone up to the dais but her cat.

Matt Matayoshi, Director, Mason County Economic Development Council
, said a few words, but his heart (which assumes a lot) was not in it. Apparently blind to the economic benefits of catering to the largest demographic in the country baby boomers will turn 65 years of age at the rate of 8,000-10,000 a day for the next 18 years -- Mr. Matayoshi took to the dais looking every bit like a man on his way to the gallows.

I spoke in support of the Senior Center, but with the caveat their services be extended to include youth activities. I also suggested the PUD donate the building, or at least discount the sale price, deeply.

My reasoning was thus: Of what value is the experience that comes with advanced age if not passed on to younger generations? And of what value is it for young people to make the same mistakes as their predecessors, unnecessarily? And finally, what better way for older citizens to remain young at heart than to engage with those whose hearts are young?

On a personal note: I like old people. So much so I decided to become one. And one day - if the Martinis don’t call me home first - I look forward to scooting down to the Senior Center in my motorized chair, flags a-flyin’ and flames painted on the sides, and a big ole decal pasted to the back of my seat that reads, “Born to Fart”.

Just because you’re old doesn’t mean you can’t have fun.

Later…

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Tom, you have had a week of it.

    I thought the Martini Bar was a figment of your imagination... I had no idea there was a real Martini Bar. My deep sympathies, OLD friend.

    Once we elect NEW commissioners, will you join me in lobbying for our county commissioners to do a little remodel and put them on the same level with the citizens?

    Putting these mad-men and women on a dais goes much too swiftly to their collective heads...

    Let's have em sit eye level with their constituents, as is done at the Port and City Commission meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of fiend would make up a story about a Martini Bar? There are limits to the social liberties one can take.
    No. I will not join you in lobbying our Commissioners climb down from their lofty seats and sit with us ordinary folk, and here’s why:If things get too bad I like to imagine dragging them off their perch and into the street.

    You don’t want to take that away for me, too, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm paying homage to ye ol' martini bar with a nice margarita on the rocks. I mean homage too, with Anejo tequila, some very nice orange liqueur and lime juice over icy cubes of crystalized water of regular girth and weight. I'd have embibed in a martini, but the martini bar is closed so to the Southwest I kneel in reverence.

    After paying tribute on bended knee I rise to question the notion. however quait, of forcing elected officials onto the ground floor where the air breathers comfortably sit. I just want to remind my friends that hot air rises, and lest we aspire to asphyxiation or heat stroke, perhaps the elevated place is where we want these false prophets spending our false profits. My hope is their own foul exhaust forces them to take very short meetings and through this heat forced brevity, that their egomaniacal actions also become ever more brief (and less damaging and expensive).

    I also suggest we hoist a "Mission Accomplished" banner for Commissioner Sheldon to commemorate his absence from so many BOC meetings fulfilling my previously stated wish for brevity of damage. This benefit of lack of attendance will unfortunately be offset by the several expensive lawsuits our current commissioners have exposed our fair county to with their nonexistent knowledge of Washingtom State law, zoning and construction ordinances, employment law, and age discrimination. "Mission Accomplished", right?

    With that I raise my glass to our County Auditor. May she be re-elected for as long as she wants to hold office and serve the citizens of this fine county. Even under the influence of this tasty double margarita, I doubt I could have expressed my sentiments any better than she did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Clear Cut, you have such a way with words!

    Mission Accomplished is the perfect sign for the Democratic/Independent Senator/Commissioner who was the founding (and sole) member of the DEMOCRATS FOR GEORGE BUSH.

    Tired of Tim? Me too!

    Please join us in waving Roslynne Reed signs at the Wallace-Kneeland intersection (Walmart) at 7:00 a.m. on July 17, 2012! We will also be there from 12:40 to 1:20, and, because we love breathing the particulate matter at that particular intersection, we will be back after work!! 5:05 to 6:00 p.m. We have lots of candidate signs and would love the company.

    Happily, finally, I think many folks are tired of Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE ON SIGN WAVING: After today, we decided that us working folk cannot pull off a lunch time sign waving.

    We will be at Wallace Kneeland Blvd. on Tuesday, July 17, in the a.m. (7:00) and the p.m. (5:00).

    Come join us if you are able.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete